Wednesday 7 November 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012

Hello again Readers,

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm taking part in something called NaNoWriMo; or to give it its full name, National Writing Month. It's an annual event that takes place in November where writers from around the world take up the challenge to write a 50'000 word novel in one month. And this year yours truly is taking part.

As I also mentioned in my last post, I'm quite easily distracted and a bit of procrastinator so when I heard about NaNoWriMo, I thought it would be the ideal motivator to kick me up the arse and get on with finally writing a book. It's something I've always wanted to do so this seems like the perfect opportunity. At the moment I'm only at about 3'500 words which is pretty slow going and currently presenting me with a bit of an uphill struggle. But, I've finished my first chapter and have a layout of the next one all ready to go! I'm also making sure I get a bit done every day, even if it's only a sentence or two. Hopefully, I'll get some time in the middle of the month to sit down and really hammer away at it. In the meantime, I'm quietly confident that by the time November 30th rolls around, I'll have my 50'000 words done. Maybe I'll even exceed that target, who knows!

One thing I feel I must stress, is that at the end of the month, if I have managed it; I'll by no means have a full finished novel ready to try to get published. I'm using NaNoWriMo to get my first draft done. No doubt it will take a fair few drafts and hundreds of revisions before it's ready to even start submitting to agents, let alone be good enough to publish; but it's a start in the right direction and that's what matters at the moment.

I'll be updating the blog with my progress as time goes on and hopefully on December 1st I'll be writing a celebratory post; we shall see. In the meantime wish me luck!

Thanks for reading,

Tim 

No comments:

Post a Comment